If you fancy spending Christmas this year in another country and you are considering the UK, then there are a lot of things to consider. One of such would be to decide if you are going to be driving around in the new country and if so are you going to rent a car? If you do decide on driving, then there are a few things you need to do before you go like familiarising yourself with the road signs. This post has been put together for inexperienced drivers to help them navigate themselves around the new city safely.

Warning signs – In the UK, most warning signs are rectangular with instructions in the middle. They mostly contain information about turns or bumps in the road. They also have warning like road works, unexpected stops, breaks in the road, rail tracks and more. It is important to familiarise yourself with what these signs mean and when they are in effect as it could be the difference between life and death.

Order signs – The highway code leaflet has a list of signs that give orders to drivers, orders that they must always obey when driving on the road in the UK. From speed limits to school crossing signs to give way signs to no cycling signs to only bus lanes and more. These signs are important to show both driver and pedestrians when and how to navigate their way around. Remember to use your distress sign if you are ever stranded on the road for low tyre pressure or a puncture.

Direction signs – Direction signs on roads and motorways are used to navigate drivers around local roads. Blue panels indicate that the motorway starts at the junction ahead. Motorways shown in brackets can also be reached along the route indicated. White panels indicate local or non-primary routes leading from the junction ahead. Brown panels show the route to tourist’s attractions. The name of the junction may be shown at the top of the sign. The aircraft symbol indicates the route to an airport. A symbol may be included to warn of a hazard or restriction along that route.

Information signs – As the name suggest, information signs contain information about the area you are driving in. Green-backed markers may be used on primary routes and white-backed markers with black bars on other routes. At approaches to concealed level crossings white-backed markers with red bars may be used. Although these will be erected at equal distances the bars do not represent 100 yards intervals.

Light signs – Light signs are used to control traffic and traffic light signals, flashing red lights, motorway signals and lane control signals. As with normal traffic lights, the green light means go and red light means stop. A green arrow may be provided in addition to the full green signal in a certain direction is allowed before or after the full green phase. If the way is clear you may go but only in the direction shown by the arrow. You may do this whatever other light may be showing. White light signals may be provided for trams. If you are involved in an accident of which you are guilty, you may need to contact a local solicitor who will represent you in front of the authorities.

Previous articleSeason tyres and when to make the switch
Next articleHow the Online Casino Industry Can Help Boost Your Programming Career
Billy Goodwin A.K.A Skaidon (my gamertag). As you can probably tell I love gaming. You will more often than not catch me with my headset on yelling online. I also love blogging, especially about the tech industry, hence the birth of the blog ' Skaidon'. Feel free to get in touch with me anytime or if you fancy a challenge add me online using 'Skaidon'.